Sunday, March 4, 2012

JUNIOR HIGH SUNDAY SCHOOL



Topic: Rules, rules, rules

Background/Overview:
The Jewish leaders watched Jesus and his disciples closely. The Pharisees wanted to catch Jesus breaking the Jewish law so they could discredit him as a teacher from God. When they saw Jesus' disciples gathering and eating grain on the Sabbath, they thought they had an opportunity to lower the boom on him. Jesus refuted their accusation by focusing on the purpose of the law, not the strict adherence to the law.

Our main scripture was Mark 2:23-27, "Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath"
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+2%3A23-27&version=NIV

Don't let rules become your faith
- there are problems with rules-centered living
- walk in the spirit of the law
- human need is a higher law than religious ritualism

Real-Life Connection
Ask yourself three important questions every day this week:
1. What makes me right with God - is it my good behaviour or God's amazing grace?
2. Do I make decisions based on what I have to do or what I want to do to be like Jesus?
3. Is there any pride in myself or condemnation of others based on good behaviour or do I offer forgiveness for others as God forgives me



Blog Archive